Christopher Brooks, 10 Jul 2014
Last updated: 23 Feb 2016
These instructions are based on the Joule Installation
- See Choosing Windows for which version of Windows to use. We chose the standard, not datacenter. We were able to get an ISO image from CUSG.
- Register the machine with the department. Be sure to request that the machine be added to the DNS tables so that we can use Windows Remote Desktop to connect from outside the EECS Windows Domain. Registering need happen only once.
- With Joule, during one of the installs, we
upgraded Joule's firmware.
This needs to happen only once with Joule. It is not clear if Ampere needs it.
- With Joule Boot and set up a logical disk of about 1 Gig using three drives and a spare. If you have 1.6 Gig, then
the Joule was misconfigured and is using all 4 drives,
we want to use three. For Ampere, ignore the above.Ampere has only three drives
- Insert the
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (Full Installation) DVD.
- If you get
CDBOOT: Couldn't fine BOOTMGR, then you may need to install a boot manager. The problem was likely that our DVD was bogus, so we got one from CUSG>
- When prompted, select "2. Win Server 2012 R2 Standard (Server with a GUI)" We are not selecting datacenter. See Choosing Windows.
- Get the key via the email, save it Here.
Be sure to wipe the disk so that there are not orphan files on the disk
- Add it to the domain. First, change the name, then reboot, then add it to the domain and reboot.
- Start up a browser and verify that the machine is on the network.
- Run Windows Update
- Add eecs/marys and eecs/cxh as remote desktop users.
See How do I allow access? (Can be done while Windows update is running)
- Create local accounts for marys and cxh on ampere with administrative privileges. (Can be done while Windows update is running)
- Enable remote desktop (Wait until Windows update is complete for this step and the steps below.)
- In Server Manager / Dashboard, click on Add roles and features.
- Select "Role-based or feature-based installation" because this is a single server. Ignore the second choice, which is for virtual machines
- Click next to see the Server Selection page. Since ampere.eecs.berkeley.edu is the only server shown, click 'Next'.
- For the next category (from list at left), "Server Roles", scroll down the list and select "Remote Desktop Services"
- Add cxh & marys to the windows remote desktop users group.
- Verify that the remote connection succeeds.
- Set up Terminal server. See
This terminal server has exceeded the maximum number of allowed connections
- Enabling automatic disconnect
- How do I disable IE Enhanced Security Configuration?
http://software.berkeley.edu. Be sure to choose the AV only version (no firewall or intrusion detection). Also, choose the 64-bit version. Note that Symantec Endpoint may
interfere with Windows Remote Desktop, see
Windows Remote Desktop Connection stops working after Symantec Endpoint Install.
- Install the RAID Driver, Firmware update and Client, see
Joule RAID System
One possibility is to search the web for
Dell Support Drivers and enter the service tag
- Install user Software such as Firefox