Choosing which version of Windows to install
Christopher Brooks, 10 Jul 2014
Last updated: 25 Jan 2016
UC Berkeley has site licenses to various versions of Windows.
Start with http://software.berkeley.edu/microsoft. That page has
Institutionally owned devices:
The Microsoft agreement allows unlimited deployment of a wide range of Microsoft desktop and server software on institutionally owned devices. For a complete list, see the Product List page.
UC Berkeley is licensed for a limited number of Visio and Project licenses. We encourage those that have a legitimate need for these products to download and use them, and ask that those who do not to refrain from incurring the additional expense to the institution that will be required to purchase additional licensing.
UC Berkeley and Microsoft have partnered with SHI as our fulfillment partner. You will be redirected to their website for your downloads.
- Instructions for download and installation are available on the Instructions page.
- To get access to media and keys, have your department Faculty/Manager/MSO/Director send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with
- MICROSOFT DEPT IT in the subject line
- department name and authorizer
- names and email addresses of persons to be granted access
- list of product keys requested
- estimated number of machines on which you intend to install, by platform (e.g., 20 Macs and 56 PCs)
- Go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2012 and review the options. I selected Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
- Go to http://shi.com and search for Windows Server 2012. I chose
Product Id: 27837822
Note that this is the EDU or Academic version
and it has 10 Client Access Licenses (CALs)
Description: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - Complete package - 10 CALs - EDU - DVD - 64-bit - English
Mfr Part #: P73-05971
When installing, select
#2, Win Server 2012 R2 Standard (Server with a GUI)